Happy February! The Chocolate Month, proclaimed by me. So shall it be written, so shall it be done, or something. Hand over the chocolate, etc.
It has been several days since my last blog update. Chiefly, this has been because life has taken on the blur of many things happening at once. It felt like that scene with Agent Cooper in Twin Peaks when he said, “What year is this?” Let me break it allll down.
- First of all, the header is a sketch I zipped out Wednesday just on regular paper with a Sharpie marker. That is Auna Kein (sounds like AW-na CANE), and you can see a little bit more of her before she was finished here on my Instagram post, where I talk about her a bit. She’s in Heliopause: The Questrison Saga: Book One, and is Forster’s on-again/off-again love interest. But Auna is just cool in her own right. I hadn’t really planned on drawing her this week, or I would have given her the proper treatment, pencil first, then Micron pen ink, but I just started drawing her in Instagram Stories and just went with it. She deserves more than a rough pen-only sketch, for sure! I have MANY great, strong women in my stories. And you’ll be extra enthused once you learn about Book Two…
- Book Two cover art has begun! This week the artist and I have been going back and forth getting the design for the front cover just right. I’ll meet with my graphic designer this weekend, and we will all three get this thing done very soon. It is AMAZING and beautiful. And I’m using the same team as for Heliopause. I think you’re going to love it, and you’re going to be very surprised by it too…
- The only main thing to do for Book Two is its final proofread (a separate, simpler edit from the already complete copy edit).
- I broke the 40,000-word barrier on Book Three of The Questrison Saga! Since then I’ve added over 2000 more words, and it’s at about the halfway point.
- I am going to TWO CONS! I have never been to a convention with my books before. I am incredibly excited about this! My first con appearance is at ConDor Con from February 22-24, and my second is at San Diego Comic Fest from March 7-10. I will share more details on table number, etc. as soon as I know them. I really hope I can go to more cons this year. But I’m thrilled with two so far!
- As such, I am getting con swag ready. This is stuff I’ll give out ONLY at cons. Something special for my fans! I’ll show off the goods when I have them all in hand.
- I submitted a short story and it was accepted on a really cool website this week. It’s sci-fi, and as soon as it’s live, I’ll share it!
- I connected with a NASA scientist regarding questions about aurorae, after having read this article in the New York Times. She gave me really great information that will help me with my stories! I think she may write a post about our interaction, and if she does, I will share that, naturally.
- Concept art!! I now have TWO artists making great prints for Heliopause! You already met Will Salas via Forster. Soon you will see another artist’s work. It is my hope that I can add at least one more artist into the fold, especially as Book Two promotion begins this spring.
Whew! This has been a productive period of time. I’m pretty pleased with my sci-fi/fantasy side of life right now, and I’m excited to keep all of you updated. Thanks so much for all your support!
Image Credit: Auna Kein from Heliopause: The Questrison Saga: Book One pen sketch by J. Dianne Dotson Copyright 2019